Hot stone massage uses soothing oils, warm basalt and sometimes cold marble stones to relax your muscles, allowing for a deeper and more intense all-over massage.
The hot stones are made of basalt, a type of rock that is rich in iron, so they retain heat. River rocks are normally used because they are smooth - they are smoothed over time by the river current.
The stones are immersed in water and heated in an electric heater until they are within a certain temperature range. The placement of the stones is usually at specific points on the back, in the palms of the hand, or between the toes but may vary depending on the client’s condition.
The heat of the stones warm and relax the muscles, which allows the therapist to apply deeper pressure, if desired.
The warmth of the hot stones improves circulation and calms the nervous system.
Some massage therapists place stones on points that are thought to be energy centres of the body to rebalance the body and mind.
Benefits & Expectations
- Helps manage stress
- Muscle relaxation
- Improves health conditions such as arthritis
- Allows you to sleep better
- Relieves pain
- Improves blood circulation and flow of energy
- Facilitates easy recovery from injury such as a sprain
- Relieves toxins from the body
- Satisfies humans longing for touch, if you’re feeling down and in need of a hug
- Leaves you feeling happy, calm and soothed giving you an emotional boost